// résumé / Eliza Wee
Enthusiastic champion of standards, experienced design professional with a background of over 15 years, pixel pusher for hire. Interested in collaborative projects that use my powers for good. Love being in the sweet spot that combines geek and art. Bits bytes pixels points ems.
- Platform and media agnostic. (Mac, PC, pixels, picas)
- Interested in reaching ever widening audiences (think: global) by keeping solutions mobile and portable.
- Over 10 years of experience in online media (i.e. around for Web 1.0, and still kicking with Web 2.0).
- Adept at balancing all aspects of information delivery--from print to web and back.
- Proven multitasking ability, thrive under deadline pressure, established team player.
- Thorough understanding of web and print: processes, software, platforms and technologies.
- Strong project management, user interface, and information architecture skills.
- Comprehensive knowledge of XML, HTML, CSS, graphics and layout software.
- Thorough understanding of technology, production, business, and creative issues.
- Strong written, verbal and organizational skills.
- Strong conceptual and typography skills.
- Mastery of both technical and fine art illustration.
Designer and Illustrator
Dogmo Studios | Oakland, CA
Jan 1993 - present
- Recipient of 2nd Place Award at Change.org's first-ever Hack for Change contest. Part of a three-person team, provided design, UX, strategy for AnonyMouse, an SMS/mobile/web app that connects LBGT youth with mentors that can safely and anonymously answer difficult questions.
- Created promotional materials (including a billboard!) for Amnesty USA's first ever Shine a Light on Human Rights award presented to His Holiness the 14th Dalai Lama.
- Client collaborations include: ACLU, AFAR, Amnesty International, BigMouth, Dwell, Future, and Teachscape.
- Design, development, and production of a variety of nonprofit, community, and SMB sites for select clients.
- Proven track record of enthusastic advocacy for collaborative and multidisciplinary teams.
- Unique combination of visual design skills, coupled with standards-compliant HTML/CSS and through understanding of business goals and best practices.
- Design and update of the web identity for Storus.com and Miahairaccessories.com, including the transactional UI for both sites.
- Adept at creating client-specific solutions for a variety of design problems.
- Logo design for Lending Network Solutions and Olfson Environmental, Inc.
- Design, information architecture, and user interface of webpages.
- Approaching 20 years experience with both traditional and digital media.
- Design, illustration and photography for web, mobile and print projects.
- Exceptional customer service and willingness to over-deliver.
PC World, Macworld | San Francisco, CA
Apr 2010 - Jan 2011
- Enthusiastic advocate for collaborative problem solving to bring ideas from proof of concept to implementation and delivery.
- Strong knowledge of technical and design challenges within web, print and mobile applications.
- Passionate about exploration/learning new software/skills/technologies to discover the best solutions for any problem.
- Responsible for rapid prototyping and implementation of custom ad programs, social media initiatives, emerging ad technologies and other web solutions for advertisers on PCWorld.com and Macworld.com
- Development of editorial art, interactive illustrations, and other online assets for PCWorld.com
- Providing creative and technical interface with our various web teams: Development, Edit, Sales, Ad/Agency contacts, Ad Operations, Business Development, and Marketing.
- Utilization of Scrum/Agile Software Development practices, Eclipse, and Subversion to address bugs and other tasks as needed.
Production Services Manager, Print/Online
PCWorld, GamePro, Macworld | San Francisco, CA
Oct 2002 - Apr 2010
- Provide prepress, proofing, and troubleshooting for over 120 advertiser files monthly.
- Responsible for all aspects of traffic--advertiser contact, file troubleshooting, printer liason, proofer maintenance, financial/paperwork checks. Zero production makegoods in over 7 years.
- Responsible for converting a TIFFIT/P1 workflow to 100% PDF/X-1a workflow.
- Calibration and maintenance of proofing equipment.
- Online production--responsible for translating print articles to XML, working with App Dev, Edit, and Art. Troubleshooting XML and HTML files. Updating static HTML pages as needed. Pushing pages and images live using CMS and in-house tools.
- Review and troubleshooting of XSLT, feedback for updating internal schema.
- Licensing--primary contact from 2003-2006 (when the feeds were moved from push to pull) for all monthly feeds. Responsible for generating and pushing the feeds, and troubleshooting issues.
- Proficiency: Mac OS and Windows, Adobe CS3 (InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop), Excel, Word, Acrobat, Pitstop
- AdOps tasks as needed--scheduling newsletters in DART, online graphics on immediate turnaround. Updating static online pages using CMS system.
- Traffic, prepress, and troubleshoot all ads for Gamepro's monthly magazine.
- Manage all aspects of production for Gamepro's quarterly Wii Guide.
- Design of Flash and online graphics for Macworld.com and Macworld newsletters.
Senior Online Designer
PCWorld.com | San Francisco, CA
June 1999 - Dec 2000
- Involvement at all levels of research, development and design for PCWorld.com and its network of sites.
- Supervision of production artists and outside contractors.
- Development of training and assessment program for entry-level production artists and designers.
- Technical liaison for the Business Development, Audience Development, and Online Marketing staff.
- Responsible for consistent branding within all collateral materials from print and online advertising to co-branded sites and new products.
Treasurer and Mural Artist
San Francisco, CA
June 1997 - Oct 2000
Treasurer, Board of Directors | Precita Eyes Mural Center
- Responsible for the business and operational decisions for a community-based arts organization.
- Administration of over $250,000 annually.
- Implementation of a Capital Campaign to raise over $500,000.
- Member of the Marketing/Development Committee and the Capital Campaign Committee.
Mural Designer and Painter
- Participating artist on several murals throughout the San Francisco Bay Area.
- Responsible for all levels of planning, design, color consultation, illustration and painting.
- Organization, publicity, and supervision for community paint-ins involving over 300 volunteers and students.
- Presentations and meetings with the Arts Commission, Parks and Recreation, and the Chinatown Resource Center.
Marketing Communications Coordinator and Graphic Designer
DiCon Fiberoptics, Inc. | Berkeley, CA
Feb 1998 - May 1999
- Website design, Information Architecture, HTML Coding, and Maintenance.
- Programming and content of web-based marketing materials.
- Development of graphic elements and user interface for 125 page corporate website.
- Advertisement design, product catalog layout and design, package design, tradeshow graphics, and corporate identity.
- Allocation and implementation of over $350,000 annually: Advertising, Product Catalog, Tradeshows and all other Collateral Materials.
- Negotiations with publications generated over $20,000 in savings.
- All level of conference services: Tradeshow marketing, planning, coordination and execution of events.
- Mechanical diagrams, file conversions and software support.
[+] view more work
firstname.lastname@example.org | 510-IS-DOGMO
Client collaborations include:
ACLU, AFAR, Amnesty International, APALC, BigMouth, CAAM, Double Dutch Sweets, Dwell, Future, and Teachscape.
Bachelor of Arts, Fine Arts
Amherst College | Amherst, MA
- Established strong foundation in Fine Arts and Studio Art Practice.
- Main topics explored included painting, printmaking, and illustration.
- Additional concentration in Geology.
- Exhibitions include APAture 2002 and 2004, g1 studios 2003 ("Una Noche de Amor") and Oakland Open Studios 2007.
Using our powers...
Recipient of 2nd Place Award at Change.org's first-ever Hack for Change contest. Part of a three-person team, provided design, UX, strategy for AnonyMouse, an SMS/mobile/web app that connects LBGT youth with mentors that can safely and anonymously answer difficult questions.
It's the end of the world! (aka 2012):
Building on the momentum from 2011, we're growing Dogmo Studios into a bootstrap distributed agency. This gives us the ability to reach more clients and provide more comprehensive services--all while keeping things lean and agile. (Just the way we like!)
Jumping off the cliff:
Started 2011 by taking the plunge, and dedicating myself to a little startup venture of my own. Focussed on extending skillsets in visual design, UX/UI, and mobile/web development.
Spent 2010 on PCWorld | Macworld's design team as an Interactive Designer (Front-end coding in HTML/CSS, Wireframing and mockups in Photoshop/Illustrator, Interactive designs utilizing JQuery and Flash. Storyboarding, SVN/Eclipse, Agile Development Process).
Responsible for all aspects of design and illustration for Weetwoo! Kids Video iPhone app.